Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Saving Submission

On Sunday at our church we talked about submission. Now before you throw your computer off of your lap or yell at the monitor, let me clarify.

We are in a series on Abraham and talked about how Abraham let Lot choose his land first. Our conversation focused on “submitting to one another out of reverence to Christ” not “wives submit to your husbands”. Both are important conversations to be had but I want to talk about submission in general before we drag gender into it.

Here is where I landed on things: the word submission leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It has been misused against me and in instruction of me for all of my life. I relate submission to be being a limp noodle. You are in submission to someone when they dominate you. You may know more about a topic or decision but you defer to another’s opinion either for the sake of avoiding conflict or for fear of their reaction. That is the submission that I have been taught in the past. Who would want to do that?

And why would Christ call us to a life of fear?

Maybe I’ve misunderstood. On Sunday, I started wrestling with the idea of submission as controlled power. Choosing the way of another not because they are better than you or smarter than you or stronger than you. Laying down my own will not because I am afraid of conflict or strong reaction. Submitting my choice to another to show love. Allowing what may not be best for me, right now, so that what is best for another can shine through.

That seems more like what Christ would call his followers to.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have to get so personal? :)

Submission is just so difficult. No matter how you look at it. Thanks for your thoughts and see you Monday!