Monday, September 10, 2007

Seasons

Nicole Nordeman is my all time favorite song writer and singer. Her work exemplifies a woman who has spent time in the presence of God and longs to share her experience. She challenges me and encourages me all at the same time!

I love so many of her songs but today I wanted to talk about “Every Season”. The song is a beautiful story of the changing seasons in our physical world. It is also the story of a spiritual journey through summer and fall, to winter and back to spring. Here, she says it better:

Every evening sky, an invitation
To trace the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours
And I notice You
In children’s games
In those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder
You are summer
And even when the trees have just surrendered

To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn
And everything in time and under heaven

Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter
You are winter
And everything that’s new has bravely surfaced

Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season’s change
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me
Summer, autumn, winter, spring


I’m watching summer and fall battle it out today. The cool front that came through last night collided with our warm, humid summer air and created huge thunder storms. It is raining buckets and the clashes of warm and cool air are producing amazing claps of thunder and streaks of lightning. It is a season of change.

I started praying and asking God what season I’m in spiritually. I think it is also a season of change. I feel the clashes in my soul and wonder if others can hear the thunder.

My summer seems to be giving way to autumn as well. What leaves will fall from my tree to make room for new buds? How long will it take for them to die? Does it hurt when they fall or will I be glad to let them go? Will the snow of winter last for months or just days?

I love the physical season of fall. I love the colors and the cooler weather that one can enjoy outside again. I love football games and soup. I love pumpkins and cinnamon scented candles. I love sweaters and fuzzy house shoes. I love fires in the fireplace and hot chocolate. I love fall.

Will I love the autumn of my soul just as much? I’m not sure. Will the colors flash brilliantly before they give way to brown? Will the cooler weather be enjoyable with a sweater? I don’t know what to expect.

What about you? What season do you find yourself in today?

No comments: