Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day Jitters

On Monday, our oldest joined the millions of children who marched back into the classroom to begin another of school. She was so excited and a little nervous. Here's just a sampling of our conversation while picking out the very important FDOS (first day of school) outfit:

RJ: Mommy, this is my favorite skirt. I want to wear it tomorrow.

Me: Okay, great! What shirt will go with it?

RJ: My high school musical shirt? (hopefully)

Me: No, baby. But your high school muscial shirt would look cute with this skirt.

RJ: But that's not my favorite. I want to wear my favorite on the first day.

Me: Well, then how about your Barbie T-shirt?

RJ: Is first grade too old to wear a Barbie T-shirt?


I pause here. Wow! IS FIRST GRADE TOO OLD TO WEAR A BARBIE T-SHIRT???? What else can I say to that?

3 comments:

Shelley said...

It amazes me how fast they grow up and how they feel the need to "fit in" even when we try so hard to not make it an issue. I am so glad I found your blog!!!

Sarah said...

That makes me smile ... but she would have been APALLED at what we chose for FDOS outfits around here. My 12 year old daughter is just not into clothes. She wore a shirt that she had painted her father's office in. I woke up with a migraine and didn't feel like fighting it! Bless...

Kristi said...

How funny!!!! She is SO your daughter!