Monday, September 14, 2009

Hope

I do not buy into the whole positive thinking mindset. In fact, I find most of it annoying. I am a realistic kind of person and I don't see how thinking better thoughts about a situation will change it. I think in color and I assign this kind of thinking a garish yellow. You know, the kind of color that burns itself into your eyeballs and gives you a headache.

So, when I was asked to spend some time thinking about hope as a Christian virtue, I really struggled. I couldn't seem to separate hope from positive thinking. I wasn't even sure that hope was a biblical concept, (Okay, now I can remember where that is...Galatians, James and a few other hundred places) and in the moment wasn't sure if hope should be pursued.

Now, I'm a step back from having the idea introduced again and wonder why my hope is so atrophied. Here are just a few quotes that have me thinking about and puzzling over this idea of hope:

"Hope is a positive and potent human faculty that must be distinguished from its dangerous sister, expectation, which steals us from the present and pushes us down the path of disappointment when things don't go our way."

"What oxygen is to the lungs, such is hope to the meaning of life."

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope."

What about you? Does hope come easily for you? Or do you fight to be hopeful? What color is hope to you?

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I have been chewing on this since I read it 24 hours ago. Unfortunately, I feel like I still have a very immature concept of what hope really is. As in, assigning "light blue" to hope, because it reminds me of the start of a brand new day.

Thank you for challenging my simple mind. You are so good for me!

Unknown said...

Hope used to not be a word that was included in my vocabulary, much less on my scale of thinking. It wasn't until I truly understood what Jesus had brought me through that I realized what He would continue to bring me through and what hope really offered in my life. It's not positive thinking, it's not really even an emotion, hope is eternal, hope is Jesus, and if we take a step back and remember who our Savior is, then we can truly embrace hope in all His glory. Thanks for your post.