Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Wall

Everyone has defense mechanisms. They are ways of behaving that protect us when we feel threatened. Sometimes they are the result of childhood traumas. Sometimes they are just learned behaviors.

I build a wall. When faced with emotional pain, I build a wall around my inner self brick by brick to keep everyone else out. If the pain continues, I coat the wall with steel. If the pain still persists, I begin to freeze all emotion. You know, like Tracy on Heroes. One touch and things freeze before shattering.

I've been aware of this tendency in myself and have made a conscious effort to keep myself interacting with people even when I am in pain. I am a private person by nature and enjoy keeping parts of my identity away from others. So, it takes real effort on my part to continue to put myself "out there". I don't want others to enter my pain; I want to keep it for myself.

I felt the first bricks fall into place on Sunday. I have lived in emotional pain for nearly a year now and it became acute last Thursday. The only way that I anticipate survival is to shut down.

I don't have a great application or insightful saying. I just hurt. And I'm trying not to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is ok to hurt. God allows pain so we will appreciate peace. If a wall makes you more comfortable- that's ok to. Just know that on the other side of the wall there are people who love you and are concerned for you.One of them is me. I will love you enough to pray that you find peace somehow.

Anonymous said...

Rhesa~
Those bricks sure do come in handy sometimes, don't they? Putting ourselves "out there" is risky and scary and at other times can be a great blessing. I pray your hurt lessens sooner rather than later. Know you have a sister who cares and will carry the burden with you if you need it.

Love you,
Kathryn