Monday, January 26, 2009

Silence

I lost my voice this weekend. Beside the usual annoyance of whispering all the time, it presents real challenges in parenting. My two year old knows that I can't raise my voice to get his attention, so he talks louder as he does lots of things that he shouldn't. I was trying to give my girls a bath but couldn't be heard over running water. While driving us home from church yesterday, there was an absolute mutiny in the car over entertainment choices. One wanted a movie, one wanted one CD and one had another CD in mind. I don't tolerate shouting matches over trivial things, but who could hear my corrections?

However, there are some advantages. I choose very carefully what I will say and how I will say it. It is painful to talk so I don't mince words. I am required to be very close to the person that I want to communicate with.

I also have to listen, a lot. I thought that I was a pretty good listener. I am realizing that I'm not so hot. I am always thinking about how to respond and what I would do or say differently. When I can't interrupt vocally, I'm interrupting mentally. Interesting, huh?

I wonder if I do that with God. Do I interrupt what He is trying to communicate with my loudness? I want to practice truly being silent in His presence. It won't be easy.

No comments: