Monday, March 10, 2008

Truth in Worship

Do you ever find yourself suddenly wondering about the words to a song that you have been singing in church for years? That has happened to me twice in the last few weeks. Both of them were centering around the same idea. Here are the lyrics, "And we sing glory, honor, power and strength to the Lord." "Power and majesty, praise to the king." "Praise and glory, wisdom and thanks, honor and power and strength...Be to our God forever and ever."

So here is what I have been wondering: do I actually have these things to give to God? Can my singing those words make them true? Do I have power or strength or wisdom to bless God with? And even if I did have those things to present as a gift, does God need them? Isn't He already all of those things without my "wishing" them to Him? I realize that all of these songs are quoting Scripture and that is one of the main reasons we sing them. But, that doesn't answer my questions. Even when the elders in heaven are singing these words around the throne, do they have those things to give to the Lamb?

I'm not trying to be difficult or obnoxious in my questions. I desire truth. I want to offer God praise that I can "back up", so to speak. After all, who would want to write God a hot check? I love each of the songs above and love how I feel when I sing them. I desire for God to have and be all of the things described. But, am I the one who can offer them to Him? If not, can I sing those songs with a clear conscious? What do you think?

No comments: