Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fed Up

I have had enough.

Here is the whole truth…this male dominated society and church that we live in is sinful. It denies the reality that women are also made in the image of God to further His kingdom.

But, a female dominated society and church would be wrong as well.

Genesis tells us that God created them male and female, in His image. He walked with both of them in the cool of the day. He created them for one another, not in competition with one another.

Humans tend to let pendulums swing from one extreme to another. When we’ve had enough of one thing we push too far the other way. For instance, when the women’s movement gained fuel in the 1960’s and 70’s, it took on a military stance of strength and a harsh, borderline violent edge. Man bashing became an acceptable sport.

I am not created to be a spineless, brainless follower.

I am also not created to be a power devouring fool.

I am created to reflect the image of my Creator.

The Jesus of the New Testament, the Son of God, came to redeem a fallen world back into relationship with His Father. He came for the whole world, not just the white males. Today’s church is Jesus to the world we occupy. So, what is this Jesus telling my daughters?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what are you trying to say?

Rhesa Higgins said...

Gee Sean, what do you think?

Laurie said...

Amen Sister! Thanks for your thoughts. I feel like this more often than not, and I wish I didn't feel like this. Working as a full time children's minister in a wonderful church like Impact you would think many of those barriers have been overcome, but sometimes they seem overwhelming and extremely prominent. I don't really know how to express my thoughts all of the time. Usually I just feel like crying. Love you Rhesa.

Anonymous said...

Rhesa,
Me being a preacher's daughter in the Nazarene church, I never felt women struggled with...dare I say, spiritual oppression. When I started to attend COC w/Fess, a whole different story. It saddened me. I felt that so many women could be holding back from their true potential in the kingdom of God not because of their desire but because of the church. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I Amen you dear! Tami Slipher

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Just found your blog on facebook, and thought I would add my comment of "Amen!"

Texas Cookie Jar said...

I am a first time reader . . . you might check out Dan Bouchelle's sermon series "Gender in the Church" at the Central church of Christ, Amarillo, TX website: amarillocentral.com You can find the series in the archive section (October 2006). We have that on CD and listened to it this summer while traveling. I'm thinking that you will find it enlightening.
keep dancing!!!
Becky Kelley
Amarillo, TX