Monday, February 4, 2008

Highest Place

Have you ever heard that poem about giving everything to Jesus? You know…offer him your spouse, your kids, your job, your house, etc? After you truly give those things to him, he will give them back to you as his gift. I understand what the author was trying to teach: everything in our lives is a gift from God. But I think maybe there should have been another part of that poem.

The stanza that talks about loving your spouse as a reflection of God. The line that says that caring for your children well is a service to God. The idea that your job is a way to connect with people who may not know God. Or, this one stings, that maintaining your home is good stewardship.

Yesterday in church we sang, “Highest Place”. It is a beautiful song talking about placing Jesus, the great High Priest, at the top of our lives. As I sang and listened, I wondered how one really does that. I can’t sit around and meditate on the goodness of God all day or my children will go hungry. I can’t single-mindedly pray all day or I won’t get any work done. Jesus in the highest place of my life colors how I do all the things I do in a day.

Here’s an example: Monday mornings are hard at my house. They probably are at yours, too. Monday’s are not fun here because our oldest goes back to kindergarten after a weekend of watching cartoons and playing a lot. She is usually running late on Monday mornings and a little grumpy. Our middle one woke up ready for a fight this morning because her older sister gets to go to kindergarten while she is stuck home with mom. The baby is always tired on Mondays because Sundays are just hard on little ones. My husband is worn out on Mondays because Sunday is his hardest day. I was staring at a week that I had to hit the diet hard again and knowing that I turn 30 in just two days. Now if I had woken up with Jesus in the highest place:
Working out could have become a time of worship; honoring the temple that His Spirit is housed in.
Motivating a kindergartener could have been about calling on her God given ability to learn and connect with others.
Disciplining a four year old could have been about lovingly shaping a strong will to better reflect God.
Cuddling a tired baby could have been about administering grace.
Encouraging a tired husband could have been about respecting the rhythms of Sabbath and work.

I need Jesus in my highest place because I fail miserably without him there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the writing! I too have recently taken up the torch again. Although I'm not sure where God plans to lead me, at this point I'm just writing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Rhesa. Especially the part about the strong will. Anymore advice? :)