Monday, November 12, 2007

7:45pm

7:45pm is my favorite time of the day. The whole family is upstairs working toward children going to bed. Yes, it's a good thing that they are going to bed! However, that's not why it's my favorite time.

At 7:45, my baby boy is fresh from a bath. We are sitting in his rocking chair in a darkened room. I smell the lavender shampoo in his hair and feel his lotion softened skin. It is the only moment of the day that he is still in my lap. Together we begin to rock and put an end to a busy day.

These brief moments of almost every evening are priceless to me. As he drinks a cup full of milk, I sing. I sing lullabies in the beginning. Very often, his sisters come in wanting to help sing. And so together we sing "Jesus loves Me" and "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and close with "God Made the Big Round Sun". The girls kiss baby brother goodnight and head to brush their teeth. The milk is gone by now and he snuggles closer, laying his head on my shoulder.

I used to stop singing at this point and just rock. But lately, little man has started singing if I don't. So, the concert goes on. I sing whatever God brings to mind. Last night it was songs from church that morning. Often, I sing songs from my days in youth group and at camp; songs that soothe a harried soul with reminders of quieter times. I always end with "Be Still and Know That I am God". I used to sing this song to myself to help me sleep. Now, I whisper these words over my little boy.

Before I lay him down in his bed, I sing a prayer over him. It is his life prayer that God gave me when he was just four months old. All the way to the door I blow kisses to that precious lump of blankets and stuffed animals.

These moments of my day are centering. I have a moment when my only job is to administer grace. And in the process, I receive it as well.

No comments: